Ange Postecoglou slams VAR after Chelsea defeat (1 Viewer)

Welcome! You have been invited by Archtp to join our community. Please click here to register.
SEI179072900.jpg
Tottenham Hotspur's head coach, Ange Postecoglou, has emphasized his unwavering respect for referees while also reiterating his frustration with VAR following their intense 4-1 loss to Chelsea on Monday.

Spurs entered the match as the only unbeaten team in the league, with their North London rivals, Arsenal, having suffered a loss to Newcastle United. They seemed on track to maintain their unbeaten record when Dejan Kulusevski scored an early goal with a deflected strike within the first 10 minutes.

However, the match quickly descended into chaos at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Destiny Udogie and Cristian Romero both narrowly avoided red cards, but Romero was eventually sent off for a reckless tackle on Enzo Fernandez inside the penalty area.

Chelsea's Cole Palmer managed to equalize from the penalty spot despite the efforts of Guglielmo Vicario and the woodwork. Reece James remained on the field, even though his elbow on Udogie could have warranted a red card.

Udogie, who had already received a yellow card for a controversial tackle, was later shown a red card for a foul on Raheem Sterling. Despite being down to nine men, Spurs and their high defensive line held their own. However, Nicolas Jackson eventually found a way through, and as Postecoglou adhered to his principles, Chelsea continued to exploit the space behind the defense. Jackson completed his hat-trick with two injury-time goals.

In the lead-up to Tottenham's match, both Arsenal's manager, Mikel Arteta, and Wolverhampton Wanderers' head coach, Gary O'Neil, expressed their frustration with questionable decisions that went against their teams over the weekend. However, Postecoglou, who received a booking during the game, took a more measured stance on the matter.

While he maintains respect for referees, Postecoglou, an advocate against the use of VAR, believes that technology is eroding the authority of on-field officials. He expressed this view to reporters after the match.

"I don't like it. I don't like the standing around. I don't like the whole theatre around waiting for decisions," as quoted by football.london.

"But I know that I'm in the wilderness with that. I'm on my own. In my 26 years I was always prepared to accept the referee's decisions, good, bad or otherwise, and I've had some shockers in my career let me tell you.

"When we're complaining about decisions every week this is what's going to happen. If people are going to forensically scrutinise everything to make sure that they're comfortable that it's right and even at the end of that we're still not happy.

"I just think it's just diminishing the authority of the referee. You can't tell me that referees are in control of the game because they're not. The control is outside of that but that's the way the game is going so you have to accept that and just try to deal with it.

"I understand goal-line technology because that's a simple one. That came in and no one's complained about it. But in searching for this utopia of no wrong decisions in a game, that doesn't exist. It never will but that's the road everyone wants to go down.

"Premier League managers should just manage their football clubs. I've never and I never will talk to a referee about the rules of the game. I was taught that you grow up and you respect the officials.

"You know what managers do? I tell you what managers do. We, me included, try to find ways to bend the rules and get around them. I think that it's so hard for a referee to officiate the game nowadays. I grew up afraid of referees. They'd be like policemen. Nowadays I guess we talk back to policemen as well."
Funny how he's changed his stance on VAR after being on the receiving end :D :D :D :D

SEI179072900.jpg
Tottenham Hotspur's head coach, Ange Postecoglou, has emphasized his unwavering respect for referees while also reiterating his frustration with VAR following their intense 4-1 loss to Chelsea on Monday.

Spurs entered the match as the only unbeaten team in the league, with their North London rivals, Arsenal, having suffered a loss to Newcastle United. They seemed on track to maintain their unbeaten record when Dejan Kulusevski scored an early goal with a deflected strike within the first 10 minutes.

However, the match quickly descended into chaos at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Destiny Udogie and Cristian Romero both narrowly avoided red cards, but Romero was eventually sent off for a reckless tackle on Enzo Fernandez inside the penalty area.

Chelsea's Cole Palmer managed to equalize from the penalty spot despite the efforts of Guglielmo Vicario and the woodwork. Reece James remained on the field, even though his elbow on Udogie could have warranted a red card.

Udogie, who had already received a yellow card for a controversial tackle, was later shown a red card for a foul on Raheem Sterling. Despite being down to nine men, Spurs and their high defensive line held their own. However, Nicolas Jackson eventually found a way through, and as Postecoglou adhered to his principles, Chelsea continued to exploit the space behind the defense. Jackson completed his hat-trick with two injury-time goals.

In the lead-up to Tottenham's match, both Arsenal's manager, Mikel Arteta, and Wolverhampton Wanderers' head coach, Gary O'Neil, expressed their frustration with questionable decisions that went against their teams over the weekend. However, Postecoglou, who received a booking during the game, took a more measured stance on the matter.

While he maintains respect for referees, Postecoglou, an advocate against the use of VAR, believes that technology is eroding the authority of on-field officials. He expressed this view to reporters after the match.

Funny how he's changed his stance on VAR after being on the receiving end :D :D :D :D
He must be a joker🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back